Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Friday 14 August 2015

There was a shed......

A shed with aspirations above it's station in life. This shed, in my wild dreams would become a craft studio, a wondrous warm and cozy place. A vision of planned loveliness that would be seen on thousands of Pinterest boards and where creativity would flow and beauty would be created...

This was the dream

The reality turned out to be a shed that would need £££££££££££££££££££ thrown at it to make it habitable. Reality slowly sank in, reinforced by my incredulous son who gave me a brutal reality check. 'Are you finally crazy Mum' he spluttered 'how will you keep it warm? The door doesn't fit, there are gaps around the windows.....there are patches of damp on the walls, you would probably get mould on all your stuff, as well as families of mice'



Mice? I looked nervously around. Hmm, a few things looked a bit chewed. In the photo above, the carpet looks quite respectable. Believe me, it's only fit for the dump..Secretly I began to agree with my son - although I was reluctant to admit it. (In my experience, children, even when they are grown, can be quite insufferable when they can prove their mother is wrong about something!) I had visions of sitting shivering in the winter, a couple of hot water bottles strapped to my anatomy as I tried to keep warm. I know that the reality would be that I would secretly migrate back into the nice warm house, carrying various bits and pieces with me each time, so that eventually, once again, we would be living in a giant craft room, with a place for nothing



So even though it looks really pretty from the outside, the shed is going to stay doing what it was presumably built for, a great place to store the garden furniture in winter, somewhere to dump the lawn mower, somewhere where the grandchildren will have fun building forts and playing shop or doing messy things where nobody will shout at them if they drop something on the carpet!

Luckily we have a spare room on the ground floor, and with a bit of juggling around with furniture, it is practically empty now, or will be soon, before a giant lorry of Ikea furniture arrives next week. It's a bit of an odd shape, tapering like a wedge, but should be practical enough when it's kitted out. It's just been painted in a restful neutral taupe colour and has a door so that nobody need see the horrible mess I make when I'm in full flow. It has heat, is just across from the kitchen...what more could I want. There is a lot more space than there was in the crafty cupboard in the old house, and  it is also gnome and mouse free, which is a bit of a bonus


So in the end, as seems to be a recurring theme in my life, all is well in the end, after a fair bit of drama along the way....

I'll be back tomorrow with the next episode of my quest to become the next Martha Stewart, bringing you the latest home decorating disaster news from here. See you then x

22 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new house it will soon feel like home, a warm room sound a whole lot better than a cold mouse infected shed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Enfys I'm so sorry to see your dream garden studio has not worked out but glad that you have space to have a room of your own in the house for some happy crafting x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Enfys I'm so sorry to see your dream garden studio has not worked out but glad that you have space to have a room of your own in the house for some happy crafting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you do make me smile, it does look very pretty from the outside but I would never want to craft in the garden. A cosy room indoors is much better, I love my little room. Look forward to tomorrow's episode x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much more practical having a craft space near the kitchen LOL
    The shed does look lovely from the outside but as you say, would probably require £££s to get it how you need it to be on the inside.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Enfys.... let nature keep the shed and you the warm cosy spare room !!

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Enfys, that shed looks beautiful from the outside! Such a shame you can't use it for crafting but then where would you put the garden furniture & lawnmower in the winter? Your proposed craft room looks lovely, very restful colour & I'm sure you have planned out the fittings to the last inch. I'm really looking forward to the completed project. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh! Shame, but in reality, who wants to traipse out to the shed/studio when its bucketing down with rain etc. Warm room in the house a much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shed from the outside is so cute, color looks great as well. Would have been the ideal spot if snow and wind didn't appear on the scene or bitter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry the shed idea didn't work out but happy you had a backup. Looking forward to the transformation, tea and have fun in your new crafting space and home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only imagine how disappointed you must be, but I also would opt for the mouse free, mold free area as well! Just think on that cold, damp day you can just walk down the hall rather than go outside! Sounds like things will work out for you quite well! Best of luck in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear your dream has ended, but as one door closes another door opens and I'm sure you will love your new craft studio just as much, especially in the winter. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you have chosen wisely to stay inside .....you will always be close to your creative spot. Much better than rushing outside especially when the weather is not great. Will be watching to see it come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maryellen WebberFriday, August 14, 2015

    I'm sorry to hear that the shed did not work out. I was concerned about how you would keep warm in the winter anyways. Now you will be close to the kitchen and more importantly, close to the bathroom!!
    :D. Looking forward to seeing how you set up your craft studio.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear,you did make a smile over your shed.Glad you have a nice mouse free room to be creative in :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you are back in the house. I couldn't bare to think of you in the damp... with the mold and the mice. Not to mention the crawly things getting inside! Can't wait to see how all the IKEA things fit. Hugs, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sorry the She Shed didn't turn out to be a goer....never mind...chin up and think of your nice cosy "sitting on the radiator on winter days" craft room xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never mind. All the money you saved not renovating the shed can be spent on other things. Craft stuff perhaps? Hope the mice enjoy the shed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was afraid that a garden shed wouldn't be warm or dry enough for paper crafting, but I'm glad that you found room in the house, instead! At least you won't have to put on a coat just to craft! I can't wait to see the ikea furniture in your new space as that's what I have and it works for me very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shame about the shed, and such a pretty one too Enfys. But your son is right (just don't tell him I said that). The room will be brilliant when all kitted out, can't wait to see some more of your lovely new home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear your dream didn't work out. I had a similar one that didn't work, but I'm happy with what I have now. Well, I would be if it didn't look like such a disaster right now. Have fun when all your goodies arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The shed was sounding so exciting......don't you just luv the way our children gives us a reality check?? lol but you just gotta luv them... the room next to the kitchen sounds pretty handy when coffee or tea time comes around I'm very sure you'll make it Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x