Home Tutorials About Me Video's Cards for Sale

Thursday 14 August 2014

More graphic shapes...

It's amazing what you can find when you dig deep enough...I uncovered a little chevron pattern stamp, and this is what I did with it. The letters are from a Inkadinkadoo alphabet set. I stamped the polkadots along the bottom with a background stamp....


This next one was an experiment with another chevron stripe, I have never made one layer cards, and this one is so clean and simple - totally unlike my usual style (whatever that is), but I like a challenge....


I added a little Wink of Stella clear pen to each of the chevrons for a bit of glitter....



So I said I would tell you all about my foray into the world of retail - that sounds a bit fancy for an afternoon in a charity shop! I have been thinking for a while that I would help out at one of these shops, and when one opened very close to where I live, I was galvanized into action. So along I went to be 'inducted' which involved a lot of chat about health and safety. The assistant manager was the only person there apart from the eager new trainee,(me) she is a sweet young thing who looked about twelve. So after all this health and safety boring stuff I was taught how to work the till (cash register). Well, how hard can that be, after all I have stood for years watching countless people doing it with my money, so my attention wandered a bit. I spotted a scarf draped around a dress that was really quite the wrong shade of green, and I was itching to replace it...........

So the young thing disappeared into the storeroom and left me guarding the till. In came my first customer. I turned all American and greeted her with a cheery 'how ya doing?' (No, we don't do that here in the UK, we tend to shop in silence here...) She gave me a startled look and scuttled out of the shop. Perhaps she was a shoplifter. Apparently they have a lot of those. Who would have thought - I mean, if you are going to break a commandment, wouldn't you think they would choose something a bit more upmarket than a charity shop? They probably know they can get away with it because they are staffed by gormless sales volunteers like me!

Anyway, in walked another customer who walked around for hours (well, okay, I exaggerate, but it seemed like hours, I was worn out after all that health and safety stuff and needed coffee.) she then came to the counter with a bracelet which cost £1. Brimming with confidence, I punched a few buttons on the till. £1000.00 it printed on a receipt. WHAT? I punched a few more buttons and out popped another receipt, this time for £100, so by the time the sweet young thing came out to investigate the hysterical laughter, the days takings were down by £1,100. Not good. It took her a while to sort it out, so I wandered around the shop and furtively removed the offending scarf and replaced it with something totally tasteful

I go back this afternoon to be trained in how to sort clothes and work the steamer (which was a big old thing hissing like a demented snake in the back room). Well, how difficult can that be? 

See you tomorrow x

19 comments:

  1. Your cards look great and love the story of you first day working. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories are just hysterical Enfys. "Are you being served" comes to mind. Love the cards - especially the first one. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have the clothes sorting already covered! Not so sure about a steamer, though. LOL. It sounds as though this will be as entertaining as your trips to DD in Florida were. BethAnn M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling that you will soon have lots of retail stories to share with us.

    Great cards!!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cards Enfys. Seems like you are enjoying/enjoyed the card class. Love, love your stories! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so impresssed you didn't buy things. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with hisssing ssid......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got so wrapped up in Adventures in a Charity Shop I forgot to say the cards are great. Nice chevrons. I was in the haven't-seen-the-light-of-day-for-3-years stamp box yesterday. Found a few things I have never seen before!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your cards. Good luck with your new job. Sounds like you'll have a lot of great stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card creations. Love the simplicity.

    Please be ever so careful with the steamer.

    Hugs, CyndiU

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these chevron cards. Thanks for sharing your antics in the charity shop, I got a great laugh reading that this morning. Hope your steaming duty goes well. Can't wait to hear how your day went.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how wonderful is your creation this is just so beautiful and perfect in every way xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha haa Enfys, I can just see you manning ( or womanning?) that cash register. At least no alarm was activated!! I know what you mean about hunting for stamps. I have a whole slew of tiny leaves, branches and flowers just waiting for me to be arranged into beautiful bouquets. I don't like to make one layer cards either, but I'm trying to control myself, but I'm not succeeding much, I'm loving what you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha haa Enfys, I can just see you manning ( or womanning?) that cash register. At least no alarm was activated!! I know what you mean about hunting for stamps. I have a whole slew of tiny leaves, branches and flowers just waiting for me to be arranged into beautiful bouquets. I don't like to make one layer cards either, but I'm trying to control myself, but I'm not succeeding much, I'm loving what you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely cards Enfys.

    Oh how I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall...£1,100 for a £1 bracelet...not bad going **chuckle**.

    Have fun with the steamer.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv luv!!! the colorful cards....and OMGOSH!!! I would luv to be a little fly on the wall and watch the day go by in that little shop...
    and good for you "your going back"
    looking forward to the next lesson to be learned...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha. Just as much fun as DD excursions. You know I've heard and read the word 'gormless' a great deal, but have no idea of its meaning. Off to the dictionary. See ya next time. Oh love the chevron cards. Hugs,Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Enfys,
    I have made 3 attempts to send you my addy 2 emails came back, one stating failed and the second will try again in two days???? the third I responsed to your message from you Ipad???
    I'm soooo bummed any other ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cards are wonderful! Your story hysterical! Thank you for starting my day with a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great cards Enfys. Love the colours. Had to smile when reading about your first day at the charity shop.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time
Enfys x